As with all Valkyrie programming, class content is a little bit variable and will adapt to the needs of the group. Here is what you can expect in each of our current remote class timeslots. Please note that all class times are in Pacific Daylight Time.
Mon/Wed/Fri 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Movement and Mindfulness, with Claire
Take a 45 minute break from your day and get some mobility and calm. Thirty minutes of movement, followed by fifteen minutes of guided meditation.
Tuesdays 7:00pm – 9:00pm
The Lab, with Kaja
An accessible at-home workout, followed by solo swordplay drills and group interpretation exercises, and a mobility-oriented cooldown. Swordplay is currently Marozzo's sword in two hands.
Wednesdays 7:00pm – 9:00pm
The Lab, with Phil
An accessible at-home workout, followed by solo drills to boost your striking, grappling, and swordplay skills. Swordplay will be mostly sword in one hand (rapier-ish).
Thursdays 7:00pm – 8:30pm
Historical Swordplay, with Randy
Work through Achille Marozzo’s 1536 swordplay treatise chapter by chapter in a cozy fireside chat format. All you need is an interest in the text, and a sword-like object. All written material will be provided.
Historical Swordplay is currently on hiatus. Check our calendar for an updated schedule.
Fridays 5:30pm – 7:00pm
Kunst des Funkelns, with Jon & Claire
Discover the core movement and research skills of medieval German martial arts in a silly, friendly, fun format. This class is designed to be gentler on the body than ‘The Lab’.
Kunst des Funkelns is on hiatus for the month of September, and will return October 2, 2020.
Fridays 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Longsword, with Courtney
Workouts and solo drills to get you into fighting shape for longsword sparring, and build your technical skill with the two-handed sword.
Saturdays 10:00am – 12:00pm
The Lab, with Jordan
An accessible at-home workout, followed by solo drills to boost your grappling and swordplay skills. Swordplay will be done with short blades and knives.
How to Sign Up
To register for a remote class with us, follow these steps:
- Go to our Class and Event Calendar
- Click on the class you’d like to attend. All remote classes are labeled in red.
- Log in (if you’ve trained with us before), or sign up to create a new account.
- Under “Membership Options”, select one of the four “Drop In” memberships (“Free”, “Accessible”, “Standard”, or “Generous”), at whichever price you are comfortable paying.
- One hour before class starts, you will be emailed a link that allows you to join the session via Zoom (a videoconferencing app). You do not need to create a Zoom account, but will need to download the app if you plan to use it from your phone. You can also use it in your browser on a computer.
We try to keep things as low-gear as possible, but there are a few things you may find handy to have nearby for workouts and weapon training:
- a small, heavy-ish object to move around (e.g. one or more hardcover books, a milk jug filled with water, a cooperative pet or small child)
- a larger, heavy-ish object to move around (e.g. a laundry basket filled with stuff)
- a chair with sturdy arms or edges (to be used for gymnastic lifts)
- a bouncy ball
- a ball on a string, hanging from the ceiling (should reach to just above floor height)
- a sword-like object (e.g. training sword, dowel, broomstick, letter opener, vaguely appropriately-shaped kitchen utensil)
Remote classes are open to students of all abilities and backgrounds, and you do not have to be a Valkyrie WMAA member to join us. If you have any questions about how things work, please feel free to contact us. We hope to see you soon!